Monday, January 4, 2016

2016, intentions and handmade gifts

I'm so happy we made it back home just in time to bring the New year in quietly and peacefully. Just us. Yes, so very glad to be home after the whirlwind of Christmas.

I've been told it gets better as the children gets older; easier travel, less cheap massed produced toys and presents from well meaning givers. Certainly less stressful if we lived closer and saw everyone on a regular basis. 

I was not on top of my game at the end of last year so we cut short our travels to visit all the family from 10 days away to four. 

What are my intentions for this year? To be connected through local community work. I have a deep desire to be once again back in the community through professional employment. In my previous life (before children) I worked for a municipal Council with a strong community and sustainable focus. Currently I'm studying a Bachelor of Information Studies in Librarianship and  I can't wait to get back in the community and make a professional contribution locally.

Now on to happy birthday makings!


Our littlest peep turned 3 a week before Christmas. Keeping with my tradition of birthday hand makings, I knitted him a Shaun the Sheep toy. He had a lovely Waldorf look; after a few days Archie noticed he didn't have eyes, so I hot glued two big crazy googly eyes, just like in the pattern. Details raveled here.

I also made him a play quilt with 2 packs of 5 inch charm squares. Happy Sunshine by Keiki for Moda and Bella Solids Porcelain. Backing fabric is a Michael Miller one and the batting is natural cotton/bamboo. The quilt pattern is a charming baby quilt with no binding just turn inside out and stitch around the edging. Embroidery thread is used to tie the quilt together.

I took a class on Craftsy by Amy Gibson from Stitchery Dickory Dock. I've made a couple of small quilt projects however I loved learning from such an esteemed teacher.

Felt breakfast food for Archie's birthday gift - a wooden kitchen from Bubby (grandma). My supply of 100% wool felt comes from Indigo Inspirations; always a joy to work with. The pattern for the breakfast food is from SewMamaSew.

A bowl of felt ravioli: I cut 3cm x 3cm squares with my pinking shears and stuffed them with some polyester filling and sewed them up with a simple running stitch. Now I'm inspired to make a fresh batch of ravioli!

How was your Christmas/New Year? Was it stressful or relaxing? What are your intentions for 2016?

Joining in with all the lovely hand makings at Keep Calm Craft On.

20 comments:

  1. I love that knitted sheep, but take off those eyes! They are a choking hazard for little ones. I have been through that years ago. Very scary. I love the quilt and the felt food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no that would of been frightful Cathie. Archie has passed the phase of putting things in his mouth but sometimes they forget. We have the added burden of an older sibling with lego.

      Delete
  2. Oh what gorgeous handmade presents - I love the quilt and the ravioli looks so lifelike it's making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog and thanks for introducing me to the craft sessions blog. Love your homemade gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like you I am SO happy to be greeting these January days with a whole lot more quiet. Gentleness and stillness is what we three are needing after all those festivities! I'm in love with your makings. The quilt, the breakfast food, and the ravioli... oh they are all just gorgeous! Particularly that bowl full of ravioli, that is so sweet. Happy happy happy new year to you guys xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely quilt! Sewing is such a mystery to me! Enjoy your post-holiday bliss! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the felt food is adorable! love it all

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the shaun!! And the ravioli are awesome, I made bow-tie pasta with pinking shears and they are still favorites in our little kitchen! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the bow-tie pasta is a good idea too. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. So clever Zena. I think they are perfect presents for a 3 year old, really wonderful. Christmas time seems to have been a long time gone already, kind of like a blurry, pixelated period :-)
    (and ps. I reckon 2016 is your year to rock lady, yes I do. Get out there and work your community goodness. xx)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely handmade gifts! The felted food items are especially charming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love with your felted pasta! Such the nice gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you Jane, I really enjoy making them. I'm thinking some fruit next

      Delete
  12. Love all your makes - gorgeous! I need to make a Shaun the Sheep also, so have bookmarked that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make the Peppa Pig toy that you made.

      Delete
  13. Hi Zena, Thank you for your lovely comment. How funny that you were not too far from my old town. I would have loved for you to contact me as I don't think there are many bloggers in that area. Your background sounds like mine in some ways. Please feel free to contact me via email melocoe@yahoo.com.au. Would love to chat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy for your visit. I will email!...I have lots to share xx

      Delete
  14. You made such cute little handmades!

    ReplyDelete